Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Medieval Vassal Life

This is a first person biography I wrote on the life as a vassal.

Medieval name: Aliena

As a vassal my obligations to my lord are to attend the court, and donate money if needed. If my lord summons me into battle, I must answer bringing some men, trained for battle, with me to meet the lord. When called to battle I must feed my lord and my company during the travel across the land. If given, I would have to carry out the commands of my lord. My lord puts a lot or trust into me. My lord expect me to complete the task I am given.

I have many duties to do while serving under my lord. On work days I would be required to finish chores on my land or chores given to me by my lord. I am required to protect my lord, and the manor, if attacked. I would have to supply weapons for the men who were to fight in the battle. My other chores would be to help my lord with solving the problems within the people, and attending the court.

I admit being a vassal has its ups and downs. The best part about being a vassal is being given land, a place to live, and serfs. The serfs work on my land to produce different types of crops. The worst part of being a vassal is having to pay a very high percentage of what I earned from each harvest to my lord and if I didn't follow my lord's command I could be sent to the court or have my land and workers deprived from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment